Conditions of Booking
- All seats are fully reserved and must be booked and paid for in advance.
- Bookings made by telephone will be acknowledged verbally at the time of booking and an email confirmation will be sent. Bookings made by new customers without an email address will be confirmed by post, with a copy of our terms and conditions.
- Payment for bookings made by credit or debit card will be taken in full using our secure payment gateway at the time of booking. Transactions will be processed in pound sterling and will appear on your statement as 'Pathfinder Tours'. A charge of 2.5% will be added to all credit card transactions. Cheques should be made payable to 'Pathfinder Tours'.
- Boarding passes and confirmed travel information will normally be posted out at least 5 days before the departure date. Please pay particular attention to the departure and arrival times then notified as these may vary from the projected times shown in this brochure, within the Pathfinder Tours website and in any advertising.
- Every effort will be made to ensure that the advertised routing, locomotive(s), coaching stock, timings and other particulars will be as published. Please note that Pathfinder Tours (’the Company’) reserves the right to alter these at any time due to circumstances outside the Company's control and as a consequence shall not incur any liability for any such alterations to any person who has bought, or contracted to buy, a boarding pass or passes, as a result of any such changes.
- The Company shall have no liability for information provided by agents and third parties claiming to act on its behalf unless such information has been confirmed in writing by the Company.
- The Company shall incur no liability for delays, curtailment, alterations, mishaps or other events that may arise on the day of operation as a result of circumstances outside the Company's control. In the event of curtailment of the rail operation, the Company will take every reasonable step to return customers to their joining stations, possibly using alternative means of transport.
- If an excursion is cancelled by the Company a full refund will be made, but no other liability shall be incurred.
- Boarding passes are issued subject to the conditions printed in this brochure and within the Pathfinder Tours website and your application for, and use of, the boarding pass(es) constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- For steam engine and ‘heritage’ diesel hauled excursions, the locomotive allocated to each train may vary and no guarantee can be given as to the availability of any individual locomotive. Should the designated locomotive be declared unfit to commence or continue the outward service, it may become necessary to substitute another locomotive. In such circumstances we would make a £15 per person refund or issue a £30 credit voucher to Standard Class passengers, £20 refund or £40 credit voucher for First Class/First Class Plus passengers, and a £25 refund or £50 credit voucher for Premier Dining passengers. No other liability shall be incurred.
- Any issues arising during the excursion should be raised straight away with your carriage steward so that the matter can be rectified. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction a complaint form must be requested from your carriage steward and sent to the Pathfinder Booking Office within two weeks of the excursion date.
Customer Cancellation or Alteration to a Booking
- Any change made after a booking has been made and confirmed may attract an alteration fee of £10.
- We ask that any cancellations are made in writing by email or post to avoid any mis-understanding.
- All refunds will be made by credit note, which can be used in payment for future excursions. Cancellation charges may apply if payments are transferred to another excursion at your request.
- Travel and cancellation insurance is highly recommended for full protection and peace of mind.
- Refund requests will be considered in accordance with the following scale for day excursions, expressed as a percentage of the total value of the booking: over 28 days before the date of running - 90%, between 14 and 28 days before the date of running - 75%, between 5 and 13 days before the date of running - 50%, within 5 days of the date of running - nil.
- For weekend and continental excursions, a different cancellation policy applies, which is available upon request.
- History shows that over the years we have both refused to accept ‘part fare’ requests for a section of the full tour itinerary yet, at other times, have accepted them where it made sense to do so. This has been on a train by train basis but we have now decided to review the situation in the light of recent confusion.
- With immediate effect ‘part fares’ will only generally be available between advertised joining stations, or vice versa in the evening. Fare levels will be decided by Pathfinder a couple of days before the day of running. However, Pathfinder reserves the right NOT to offer these part fares for all trains.
- The practice of occasionally allowing part fares during the main part of a day’s itinerary has always been a challenge to us – some travellers have appreciated it whilst others demand these fares as a god given right and then abuse the concession. We now feel it time to draw a line in the sand by stating that no ‘part fares’ will be offered other than as per the previous paragraph.
- The exception to this is where we decide to open up a leg of the journey during a straightforward day excursion, where we identify there is spare seating capacity. For example, on the 30th November 2013 we offered a Salisbury to Portsmouth Harbour and return reduced fare as we had a spare coach in the train consist. Likewise, on the 21st December a Thorne North to Beverley and return reduced fare was offered for the same reason.
- So, in summary, there may be, at our discretion, part fares available between pick up or set down stations, or there may be reduced fares where we identify spare seating capacity. However, the default position will always be the advertised fares as per the Pathfinder brochure, leaflet or website.