Pathfinder Tours prides itself as one of the nation’s leading names in UK rail travel by special train. We organise up to 40 day excursions every year, as well as a number of weekend trips, travelling to many interesting destinations and events. Some customers just love to travel in our comfortable carriages; others have a real passion for the locomotives, steam or diesel. Many travel with us time and time again - we’d love to welcome you on board too!
Non-stop Paddington to Plymouth
We are delighted that the confirmed timings for THE WESTERN CHALLENGER on Saturday 7 May, with D1015 'Western Champion', mean we will have a non-stop run from Paddington to Plymouth. In 1966 'Western Campaigner' D1010 took 5 hour 15 minutes to reach Penzance following the same route.
Our non-stop train is running exactly 50 years later (to the day), but over a much busier network.
Unlike in 1966 our return trip will not be non-stop, but it will follow most of the ‘Warship’ route via Yeovil to London Waterloo.
A big Thank You to Great Western Railway and South West Trains for their assistance with the arrangements for this unlikely to be repeated event - Well probably not for another 50 years or so!
Book With Confidence!
To operate our main line excursions Pathfinder Tours uses these professional train operating companies (TOC's)...
- DB Cargo (DB)
- Direct Rail Services (DRS)
- GB Railfreight (GBRf)
... each of which is owned by a respected national or international parent company.
Bookings can be made with us in the knowledge that each excursion is run with your safety and welfare as the absolute priority.
Why choose Pathfinder Tours for your next day out?
- A full day out to destinations and events throughout the UK in traditional comfort and style
- A warm, friendly welcome from our stewards, looking after you throughout your day
- Reserved table seating for everyone with great views guaranteed
- See the UK from a different angle, with no driving, no motorways, no hassle
- First Class Plus and Premier Dining options for that special celebration or just to treat yourself
- Separate specialist rail tours available to share our passion for trains and classic routes
We hope that you enjoy browsing this website and look forward to welcoming you aboard one of our many excursions in the near future.
Please have a look at our videos which will give you a flavour of the different types of excursions that we offer:
~ Four day rail-cruises to Scotland;
~ Steam hauled day excursions; and
~ Diesel hauled day excursions.
We hope you enjoy watching them.
Videos produced by Mark Davies of SeeLearn.