TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. All seats are fully reserved and must be booked and paid for in advance.
2. Bookings made by telephone will be acknowledged verbally at the time of booking and an email confirmation will be sent. Bookings made by new customers without an email address will be confirmed by post, with a copy of our terms and conditions.
3. Payment for bookings made by credit or debit card will be taken in full using our secure payment gateway at the time of booking.
4. Transactions will be processed in pound sterling and will appear on your statement as ‘Pathfinder Tours’. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Pathfinder Tours’ and will be banked three weeks before the date of running.
6. Boarding Passes and confirmed travel information will normally be posted to you the week of departure. Please pay particular attention to the departure and arrival times then notified as these may vary from the projected times shown in this brochure, within the websites and in any advertising by up to an hour either way.
7. Every effort will be made to ensure that the advertised routing, locomotive(s), coaching stock, timings and other particulars will be as published. Please note that Pathfinder Tours (’the Company’) reserve the right to alter these at any time due to circumstances outside the Company’s control and as a consequence shall not incur any liability for any such alterations to any person who has bought, or contracted to buy, a boarding pass or passes, as a result of any such changes.
8. The Company shall have no liability for information provided by agents and third parties claiming to act on its behalf unless such information has been confirmed in writing by the relevant Company.
9. The Company shall incur no liability for delays, curtailment, alterations, mishaps or other events that may arise on the day of operation as a result of circumstances outside the Companies’ control. In the event of curtailment of the rail operation, the Companies will take every reasonable step to return customers to their joining stations, possibly using alternative means of transport.
10. If an excursion is cancelled by the Company a full refund will be made, but no other liability shall be incurred.
Boarding Passes are issued subject to these conditions and your application for, and use of, Boarding Pass(es) constitutes acceptance of these.
11. Subject to clause 6 above, if for reasons beyond the promoter’s control it is necessary to substitute the advertised locomotive with an alternative steam or diesel locomotive as the case may be then no compensation shall be payable. If it is necessary to substitute the advertised steam locomotive with a diesel then compensation shall be paid as follows: a £15 per person refund or a £30 credit voucher to Standard Class passengers, £20 refund or £40 credit voucher for First Class/First Class Plus passengers, and a £25 refund or £50 credit voucher for Premier Dining passengers. No other liability shall be incurred.
12. Any issues arising during the excursion should be raised straight away with your carriage steward so that the matter can be rectified. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction a complaint form must be requested from your carriage steward and sent to the Booking Office within two weeks of the excursion date.
13. To comply with our Train Operating Company contracts, it is a condition of travel that passengers do not lean out or hold anything (e.g. cameras, phones, tablets, etc.) out of carriage windows whilst the train is moving.
14. Any Juniors (under 16 years) must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Customer Cancellation or Booking Alteration
1. Travel and cancellation insurance is highly recommended for full protection and peace of mind.
2. We ask that any cancellations are made in writing by email or post to avoid any mis-understanding.
3. Any change made after a booking has been made and confirmed may attract an alteration fee of £10.
4. Refund requests will be considered in accordance with the following scale for day excursions, expressed as a percentage of the total value of the booking: over 28 days before the date of running – 90%, between 14 and 28 days before the date of running – 75%, between 5 and 13 days before the date of running – 50%, within 5 days of the date of running – nil. All refunds will be made by credit note, which can be used in payment for future excursions.
5. For Pathfinder Tours weekend excursions a different cancellation policy applies, which is available upon request.
Part Fares and Reduced Fares
‘Part Fares’ and ‘Reduced Fares’ are available at the discretion of the Company and will generally only be available between advertised joining stations.
Steam Locomotive availability
Pathfinder Tours will use its best efforts to provide the steam traction for excursions rostered for steam haulage for the sectors advertised, but this cannot be guaranteed. On occasion a diesel locomotive may be substituted mainly due to fire risk, drought, industrial disputes, restrictions imposed by third parties or locomotive failure. All steam locomotives are subject to a ‘Fitness to Run’ exam within 24 hours prior to running on the main line which sometimes leads to substitutions at the last minute. It may be necessary for changes to be made at a later date due to operational reasons, in which case compensation will apply as set out in section 11 of General Conditions (above).