My party of four travelled Premier Dining with you from Hereford on Saturday on The Cumbrian Mountaineer. This was the first time we had been with Pathfinder and this is to thank you for the excellent service we had throughout the day, in spite of the appalling weather. The catering was to a very high standard, and the staff were friendly and helpful at all times. How the kitchen staff of Frying Scotsman were able to achieve that, while coping with the cramped conditions in the catering carriage was incredible – They all deserve medals!
It was very disappointing not to have returned by the Carlisle-Settle route, which was the principal reason for us selecting this tour, but the decision to close the line was outside your control. However, we were compensated by the spectacular run south behind Tornado, which has clearly fully recovered from its failure last year. To maintain a steady 75mph over that many miles, and with twelve coaches, was quite an experience. One for the record book I believe.
This is the second time we have missed out on crossing the Ribblehead viaduct, so perhaps we will make it on a third attempt. We will be looking out for your future day tours in that direction.
Michael A – March 2019
Thank you Pathfinder!
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the Pathfinder staff and Frying Scotsman staff for their professional service through out the Dorset Deltic Trip. The trip was on time in Stafford and was on time throughout most of the trip. What was special for me though was I have a gluten problem and so many organisations don’t care for this. However this was different the Frying staff did an excellent job for me and nothing gave me any problems through the whole trip. In fact this turned out to be one of the best trips out Ive ever had. So many thanks to all for a great day out.
Russell C Thewlis
Having been on many tours with Pathfinder albeit not for a few years now. We have just returned from a very long day on the Ynys Mon Express.
Excellent organisation, great stewards plus the very humorous Geoff from Frying Scotsman catering in the buffet.
Everything ran more or less to time and Flying Scotsman performed well along North Wales mainline. One slight mishap with the engine when restarting from a signal stop just outside Chester slipping on the tight curve – that aside a great day out!!
Martin Dyer – September 2018
Brilliant trip today to Weymouth, mahoosive thanks to all crew and staff, fantastic food and service !
Tour was one of the best
The Diamond Twenties tour was one of the best I have ever been on. Dungeness is really dear to my heart and it was amazing to be on the train amongst the fields with the amazing scenery. The whole thing was absolutely magic.
Ann Town – May 2018
A big, big thank you for the excellent tour on Saturday (The Class 50 Terminator – Phoenixed). When I asked for tickets to be sat as close to the locos as possible I never thought I’d actually get them, let alone right next to it, and although coach A was at the back from Paddington, we certainly got the best of it on the climb back to Exeter from Penzance!
We had a cracking day and the lack of coach heating proved to be a massive benefit to us (that’s not a complaint). Food and drink prices on the train for us ‘non dining’ people were very reasonable too.
Between yourselves, the Fifty Alliance and GBRf you should be feeling very proud.
Thank you once again for giving us a brilliant day out.
Mike B – March 2019
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. All seats are fully reserved and must be booked and paid for in advance.
2. Bookings made by telephone will be acknowledged verbally at the time of booking and an email confirmation will be sent. Bookings made by new customers without an email address will be confirmed by post, with a copy of our terms and conditions.
3. Payment for bookings made by credit or debit card will be taken in full using our secure payment gateway at the time of booking. Transactions will be processed in pound sterling and will appear on your statement as ‘Pathfinder Tours’.
4. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Pathfinder Tours’ and will be banked three weeks before the date of running.
6. Boarding Passes and confirmed travel information will normally be posted to you the week of departure. Please pay particular attention to the departure and arrival times then notified as these may vary from the projected times shown in this brochure, within the websites and in any advertising by up to an hour either way.
7. Every effort will be made to ensure that the advertised routing, locomotive(s), coaching stock, timings and other particulars will be as published. Please note that Pathfinder Tours (’the Company’) reserve the right to alter these at any time due to circumstances outside the Company’s control and as a consequence shall not incur any liability for any such alterations to any person who has bought, or contracted to buy, a boarding pass or passes, as a result of any such changes.
8. The Company shall have no liability for information provided by agents and third parties claiming to act on its behalf unless such information has been confirmed in writing by the relevant Company.
9. The Company shall incur no liability for delays, curtailment, alterations, mishaps or other events that may arise on the day of operation as a result of circumstances outside the Companies’ control. In the event of curtailment of the rail operation, the Companies will take every reasonable step to return customers to their joining stations, possibly using alternative means of transport.
10. Boarding Passes are issued subject to these conditions and your application for, and use of, Boarding Pass(es) constitutes acceptance of these.
11. If an excursion is cancelled by the Company a full refund will be made, but no other liability shall be incurred.
12. Subject to clause 6 above, if for reasons beyond the promoter’s control it is necessary to substitute the advertised locomotive with an alternative steam or diesel locomotive as the case may be then no compensation shall be payable. If it is necessary to substitute the advertised steam locomotive with a diesel then compensation shall be paid as follows: a £15 per person refund or a £30 credit voucher to Standard Class passengers, £20 refund or £40 credit voucher for First Class/First Class Plus passengers, and a £25 refund or £50 credit voucher for Premier Dining passengers. No other liability shall be incurred.
13. Any issues arising during the excursion should be raised straight away with your carriage steward so that the matter can be rectified. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction a complaint form must be requested from your carriage steward and sent to the Booking Office within two weeks of the excursion date.
14. To comply with our Train Operating Company contracts, it is a condition of travel that passengers do not lean out or hold anything (e.g. cameras, phones, tablets, etc.) out of carriage windows whilst the train is moving.
15. Any Juniors (under 16 years) must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Customer Cancellation or Booking Alteration
1. Travel and cancellation insurance is highly recommended for full protection and peace of mind.
2. We ask that any cancellations are made in writing by email or post to avoid any mis-understanding.
3. Any change made after a booking has been made and confirmed may attract an alteration fee of £10.
4. Refund requests will be considered in accordance with the following scale for day excursions, expressed as a percentage of the total value of the booking: over 28 days before the date of running – 90%, between 14 and 28 days before the date of running – 75%, between 5 and 13 days before the date of running – 50%, within 5 days of the date of running – nil. All refunds will be made by credit note, which can be used in payment for future excursions.
5. For Pathfinder Tours weekend excursions a different cancellation policy applies, which is available upon request.
Part Fares and Reduced Fares
‘Part Fares’ and ‘Reduced Fares’ are available at the discretion of the Company and will generally only be available between advertised joining stations.
Steam Locomotive availability
Pathfinder Tours will use its best efforts to provide the steam traction for excursions rostered for steam haulage for the sectors advertised, but this cannot be guaranteed. On occasion a diesel locomotive may be substituted mainly due to fire risk, drought, industrial disputes, restrictions imposed by third parties or locomotive failure. All steam locomotives are subject to a ‘Fitness to Run’ exam within 24 hours prior to running on the main line which sometimes leads to substitutions at the last minute. It may be necessary for changes to be made at a later date due to operational reasons, in which case compensation will apply as set out in section 11 of General Conditions (above).
PLAN YOUR NEXT JOURNEY
Find a Station